For Immediate Release
September 27, 2011
Local Contact: Jordan Masi
Arizona State Credit Union
Telephone (602) 467-4133
Arizona State Credit Union Awards $34,000 in Scholarships to College Students and Recent Graduates
Credit Union helps relieve burden of student finances for 18 students and alumni
PHOENIX, Ariz. –Arizona State Credit Union awarded $34,000 to 18 deserving students and alumni of Arizona universities and colleges through its Community Leaders Scholarship and Loan Reduction Grant program.
All 18 recipients are representative of Arizona’s diverse student population and are associated with one of the following schools: Arizona State University, Northern Arizona University, University of Arizona, University of Phoenix, Gila Community College, Mesa Community College and Paradise Valley Community College.
These financial awards are the latest in a long line of scholarships and grants provided by Arizona State Credit Union. The annual scholarship and grant program supports the Credit Union’s commitment to sustainability and demonstrates its ongoing dedication to the people of Arizona and the local communities the Credit Union serves.
“I commend each of these students for the commitment they have made to their education,” said David E. Doss, President/CEO of Arizona State Credit Union. “It is a privilege to be associated with some of the state’s brightest and most deserving individuals. I am certain their dedication will enhance not only their futures but the future of Arizona as well.”
The Community Leaders Scholarship helps students attending various state universities, colleges and vocational schools pay for tuition, books and other academic expenses.
The Loan Reduction Grant is unique in that it helps graduates pay for accrued student loans, a large financial burden upon leaving school. The grant was awarded to graduates for their academic achievements and continuing commitment to their communities.
- Casey Lee Green of Prescott, AZ – ASU
- Brigitte Steinken of Mesa, AZ – ASU
- Camille Adkins-Rieck of Gilbert, AZ – UofA
- Eric Lehnhardt of Tucson, AZ – ASU
- Timothy O’Donnell of Tempe, AZ – Mesa Community College
- James Burgos of Peoria, AZ – University of Phoenix
- Chelsea Wilson of Gilbert, AZ – Mesa Community College
- Jacqueline Blanch of Payson, AZ – Gila Community College
- Joseph Cook of Phoenix, AZ – Paradise Valley Community College
- Sara Dowdle-Simmons of Tonto Basin, AZ – NAU
- Daniel Cheek of Tucson, AZ – UofA
- Mathew Wadsworth of Tempe, AZ – ASU
- Noam Dorr of Tucson, AZ – UofA
- Maria Pina of Laveen, AZ – ASU
- Alegra Savage of Tucson, AZ – UofA
- Angela Towner of Tucson, AZ – University of Phoenix
- Sawsan Hamad of Tempe, AZ – ASU
- Kevin Denhardt of Tempe, AZ – ASU
About Arizona State Credit Union
Arizona State Credit Union is a $1.3 billion full-service, not-for-profit financial cooperative with a statewide branch network serving the people of Arizona. More than 128,000 Arizonans turn to Arizona State Credit Union for outstanding service and value. Arizona State Credit Union has grown dramatically since its founding in 1951, providing a full line of financial products and services at 21 branches across the state. Nearly 60 years of excellence and outstanding customer service have helped the Credit Union become a five-time winner of Arizona Business Magazine’s Ranking Arizona and a four-time recipient of the Peter Barron Stark & Associates Award for Workplace Excellence™. Arizona State Credit Union is headquartered in Phoenix and welcomes membership from businesses and individuals throughout the state. Reach us at 800.671.1098 or visit us at www.azstcu.org.